On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Monte Milanuk wrote:

> I have a small problem w/ regard to /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting the
> following written to it (presumably by dhcpcd)
>
> domain milanuk.net
> nameserver 192.168.1.10
> search milanuk.net
>
> I was under the impression that having both the 'search' and 'domain'
> lines in /etc/resolv.conf at the same time was bad juju (dunno why
> specifically).  Where should I start looking(client, server?) to figure
> out how to stop this from happening?

There's nothing bad about having both a domain and a search line.

The domain line tells your system what domain it's in.  The search line
tells your system that if you are doing a lookup on just a machine name,
it should check all the domains listed for that machine name.  The first
domain that contains that machine name will be returned as the result.