I'm trying to get a working login on my serial port and I'm running into a
problem that I initially thought was because of a mis-wired null-modem, but
now I think it's because of something I've missed in my linux configuration.
Help???

I've tried a commercially made null modem cable and two cables I wired
myself using two different pin-outs, all with exactly the same results.  I
can get the login from the server to show up in the terminal window of the
client, but I can't get the text from the client to go back to the server.
If I use terminal programs on both sides, then the "server" can send text to
the terminal window on the client, but the client can't send text back.

The thing that makes me believe its a configuration problem is (besides
having used three different cables now), if I flip the cable over, the
behavior of DOES NOT CHANGE.  That is, I can still send from the server to
the client but not the other way around.  I would expect that if it were a
wiring problem, then flipping the cable over would reverse the symptoms.

I'm using a redhat 7.2 system as the server, with /dev/ttyS0.  I haven't
changed any devices or other setups - this is just minicom on the server
side talking to hyperterminal on the client side.  Minicom can send text to
hyperterminal but hypertrm can't send back.  The settings are 9600bps, 8n1,
hardware flow control on both sides.

Am I missing something?  Is there some "allow bidirectional" setting I'm
missing somewhere or that the device file may be missing?  I've seen it for
printer ports in the bios but not for serial ports...