I may not be replying to this correctly so it ends up in the same
thread, sorry.  First time out with redhat-list.

>> I am using up2date-2.7.61-7.x.1 to upgrade the kernel packages and get
>> this error:
>>
>       The below error is nothing to do with the up2date !
>

>> fatal rpm error:
>> Failed installing packages:
>> 'installing package kernel-smp-2.4.9-34 needs 19Mb in the / filesystem',
>> (9,'/',19089408)
>>
>> Is there a work around?  Do I just need to do all the upgrade stuff
>> by hand instead?  There is 39Mb free in root:
>>
>> $ df
>> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda1               149712    102899     39083  73% /
>

>The error clearly states that you do not have enough space in "/" to install/upgrade
>the package.
>If u give some thought then u can clearly understand that the u require ( 19MB+39Mb)
>atleast to do >so.

Your analysis seems correct, I am hoping for some reasonable
work around.  The kernel is not 39+19Mb, so I assume there
is some "work space" issue.  Can this work space or whatever
is needing 60Mb be directed to a larger fs by an evironment
var or something.  Otherwise I need to install by hand?  Maybe
that is the workaround.

Thanks.