Hi,

I recently got a new desktop machine - a Dell Dimension 4500, with an ATA-100
Western Digital hard drive.  It came with XP Professional preinstalled but I
reinstalled that and installed Red Hat 7.3 so I can dual boot.  Hard drive
access is fine under XP but is horrible under Linux.  I think its because Linux
doesn't have support for Intel's new chipsets but I thought I'd check to see if
anyone else has experienced this or has any recommendations.  I know Dell
doesn't support Linux on their desktops anymore but I've always managed to get
Linux working any all the unsupported desktops I've ever used, bought or built.

Here's some more info:

Dell Dimension 4500
2.4Ghz Pentium 4
1Gb RAM
Western Digital drive 40Gb model WDC WD400BB-75CAA0

Snippet from dmesg:
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, VID=8086, DID=24cb
PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions
PCI_IDE: (ide_setup_pci_device:) Could not enable device.
hda: WDC WD400BB-75CAA0, ATA DISK drive
hdc: Lite-On LTN486 48x Max, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: setmax LBA 78125040, native  78125000
hda: 78125000 sectors (40000 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=4863/255/63

hdparm reports the correct info about the drive (i.e what drive modes are
supported) but when I try to force UDMA5 (using in/hdparm -c1 -m0 -X69 -S253
/dev/hda), the kernel returns:

ide0:  Speed warnings UDMA 3/4/5 is not functional

So basically, it looks like I'm dealing with a currently unsupported chipset.
So my real questions are:

1)  Really more of a linux-kernel question but is there any work under way to
support Intel's new chipsets (845E, 845G, 845GL - I think I've gotten them right)?

2)  Is there any work around to trick the kernel into thinking its dealing with
a chipset that would support UDMA5, kind of like a generic UDMA5 chipset?

I must admit I'm pretty naive when it comes to ATA/ATAPI - I'm more a SCSI type
of guy.  But IDE is what this machine came with so thats what I'm going to use,
if I can ever get it up to speed.  Current benchmarks show me getting a whopping
4.14MB/sec!

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

--