I was wondering if someone could help me here.  I'm despite!

I am attempting to setup a NAT router and firewall on my internal network.  It's function would be to provide an area of protection between myself and the rest of the network.  Also, I have been seriously learning Linux, and this is the next logical step.  Here's the problem, I don't have a clue what to do!  Every documentation that I find seems to contradict each other.  I am using RedHat 7.3 from downloaded ISO images.  Upon install I have installed iptables and other routing "stuff".

Upon setting it up (adding the info to my '/etc/sysconfig/network' file, etc.) One book I have states that I am to run modprobe ip_tables.  When I do so, all hell breaks loose.  Here is my error message.
[root@natrouter root]# modprobe ip_tables
/lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod ip_tables failed
[root@natrouter root]#

Now, I'm lost as it is, so this just completely doesn't make sense.  This is an install from a RedHat 7.3 cd, so I'm assuming the problem is in something that I am doing.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'd also be interested in any books / documentation that explains setting up iptables for nat routing on a simple lan in "n00b" terms.  When it comes to this aspect of the "Power of Linux" ... I'm lost.  But hey, give me credit ... I want to learn.

-Jon "GenKiller" Gaudette
_______________________________________________ Redhat-list mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list