On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:35:12AM +1000, Darryl Harvey wrote:
> For some reason unknown to me, my system is running slow and the suspect
> is the SCSI drive which is impacting on system performance.
>
> We have decided to remove the SCSI card (initio 9100UW) and switch to an
> IDE disk.  So now we need to know how we can accomplish this..

Feel free, but do be aware that, in general SCSI is more efficient and faster
than IDE.  You may be doing a lot of work with the wrong analysis.

> We can mount the new drive before we remove the SCSI or cp, tar/untar
> under linux, or we could do a dd or something similar (Maybe ghost)?

You can simply install the controller/drive(s), create the partitions,
format and then do a tar or cpio.  (NB:  Check the 'Net; on older Unix
boxen, tar had problems with devices.  I have every expectation that you
won't under Linux.)  Then boot from the new drive/partition.  This may
be the least "expensive" in terms of time and effort.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat