On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Adam Ellis wrote:

> I am trying to set up a serial printer (Okidata Microline 182 Plus) under
> RedHat 7.3 and am not having much luck...maybe somebody out there has a few
> tips for me.  The printer is plugged into the first DB9 serial port on my
> computer (labeled 1).  The serial ports are found at boot:
>
> However, the following command just hangs when I type it at the console:
> # echo "hello" > /dev/ttyS0

Try doing:

        echo "hello" > /dev/ttyS1

for grins

> And typing this just returns me to the command prompt with no result:
> # echo "hello" > /dev/ttyS00

Have no idea what /dev/ttS00 is.  Never seen one 'afore.

        bash$ v /dev/ttsS00
        ls: /dev/ttsS00: No such file or directory
        bash$

> Does anybody have any idea what my problem is here?  Do I need to do
> something with the setserial command?  Thanks in advance for your help.

It might be what you think are ttyS0 and ttyS1 are actually swapped.  Also
move the printer to the other com port and try your echo tests to ttyS0
and ttyS1.