Seems very odd.  It's the same error I got when trying to boot from a
DAC960 controller.  The problem, in my case, was that the kernel doesn't
recognize the DAC960's device names when it's parsing its parameters.
In order to correct the problem, I had to pass the kernel the hex values
of the major and minor numbers of the root fs device, rather than the
device name.  I don't know why that would be a problem for you, since I
boot at home from a SCSI device...

All the same, you can try it.  Change your grub.conf (or on the grub
command line at boot time) so that the kernel parameter line looks like
this:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-4 ro root=0802

You should only need to change the root=xxxx argument.  0802 is the hex
value of /dev/sda2.