On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 09:42:30AM -0400, Joshua James wrote:
> How can I remotely administer a server?
>
> I hear that you can't telnet as root but I would rather use the
> XWindow's interface anyway.
>
> Is there a way to use xwindows remotely or even use telnet as root?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Hi Josh,

use ssh so that the traffic is encrypted as it passes across the
network. Telnet is insecure and even passes the password in clear
text. If anyone is snooping they can capture your passwords and
accounts if you use telnet.

You can run X windows remotely but depending on the speed of your
connection to the box it may be very slow. Have a read about
setting your DISPLAY variable to the machine you are sitting at
on the remote box. If ssh is setup to accept X traffic it even
sets the DISPLAY for you.

If you set the DISPLAY manually or are using telnet then you
must set it manually and use xhost on the near box to allow
the remote box to connect to your local X server.
xhost + remote
will do that.

Paul