Ach!!

Just installed Red Hat 7.2 as a dual-boot os on a 1. ghz 256 mg ram pc that
is also running win98se.

Installation went fine (according to the book i was following 'Learning Red
Hat Linux') but when i boot up and choose to use Red Hat instead of dos it
doesn't go to a gui (i installed both gnome and kde).

Instead it goes to the text interface.

Also it does this weird thing where as it asks for the login the screen dies
for a second every 3-4 seconds.  As soon as a login is entered and it is
asking for the password that problem goes away.

I have an ATI AGP Radeon VE graphics card.

PLEASE somebody be able to help me!!!

It's my first foray into Linux and i would like to start in a gui (my dos
skills... practically non-existent...)

Thanks much,

-0behn desu0-