On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:58, David Busby wrote:
> List,
>       I've got a 7.2 machine using IPTables to NAT my office to the internet.
> All traffic works find except FTP.  When my ftp clients issue the PORT
> command the server responds with a 500 error.  If I put my office hosts
> on to our old NAT box to the internet the PORT command is sucessful.  So
> I'm thinking that there must be something wrong with my IPTables setup.
>   I've tried removing my DROP rules for my INPUT chain but it didn't
> help.  Any advice?
>
> TIA
> /B
>
> Here's my iptables -L
>
> [root@tutamen /]# iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh
> DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain

>From the first link Google came up with searching for iptables nat ftp:
Connection tracking and ftp

Firstly, you need to load the ip_conntrack_ftp module.

Assuming you have a single-homed box, a simple ruleset to allow an ftp
connection would be:

iptables -A INPUT     -p tcp --sport 21 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j
ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j
ACCEPT

I am just starting my first iptables firewall setup on a new Lan we are
building so I can't be of more specific help however I would try one or
both of the following:

insert the module mentioned above

$ insmod ip_conntrack_ftp

if no joy I would try passive ftp connections if you are not already
doing so.  I do not know if the ip_conntrack_ftp module is supposed to
handle non-passive transfers.

HTH

Bret