Hello David,

David T Roth wrote:
> I had installed ntp-4.1.1 and now I am trying to uninstall it.  I am
> using gnuRPM and the ntp package is not showing up to be uninstalled
> either looking or doing a find.  But when I try to install an earlier
> version for redhat 7.0 it comes up saying that a later version is
> already installed.   I have tried to go in and remove the ntp package
> manually but gnuRPM still says it is installed.  Can you tell me where
> and what file to edit to finish removing the ntp package.  One of my
> problems was with ntp-4.1.1 was that it kept asking for a library
> libcap-1.0.1 or something to that effect.   Does xntpd work with redhat
> 7.0 or is ntp-3.0.99k the only deamon that works.  Are there any other
> NTP deamons that I can use for free.

To locate the packages try:
locate ntp
rpm -qa | grep ntp
rpm -ql ntp showes you the files, that comes with ntp

If you have further problems with the rpm database, try a
rpm --rebuilddb

To resolve dependency problems, go to www.rpmfind.net and search for
the rpms, you have to install.

Furthermore, you can query a paket with:

         --provides         - list capabilities package provides
         -R, --requires     - list package dependencies
         --whatprovides <cap> - query packages which provide <cap> capability
         --whatrequires <cap> - query packages which require <cap> capability
fi.e.
rpm -qp --provides new.rpm asks a packet, with is not installed yet

I use ntp, it works fine for me, so I cannot say anything to xntpd :(

> I have just installed redhat on this machine and found I was missing
> some programs 'cc' and 'make'.  Why is this did I not install some
> package that I needed to.  I usually install both Gnome and server
> software so that when I do the install I have to go install package by
> package rather then choose a server  install or workstation install.

I usually install the developer Pakets, so I have make, cc and gcc on
my system. You have to install these packets manually.

If you want to have it more convenient, you could use apt-get for RH:
http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

with best regards
Thorsten