I am wondering about how I can set up good control over the use of 'root'
and file/directory ownership without hurting too many people.

The situation is ,  our Club has a Computer that is maintained  remotely
through a dedicated internet link and it seems everyone that has to do
things on that computer wants ROOT access.  For example, the person that
maintains the WEB page says he cannot do his amendment work etc., without
root access.
It was my feeling that only ONE person should have ROOT access and the
other (sub/administrators)) should have something less than ROOT
access.  Maybe I am getting paranoid here but it seems too many funny
little things are happening such that is done only by a person with root
access that there is now a need for better control.

So, if we were going to take away root access from the WEB page
administrator (for example) could he not still do all his work (remotely)
with ROOT access?
In other words assign him a user name and password and maybe attach certain
group permissions to that user name and have all his web page activities
run off his user directory?  Something like that?? Or should we live with
the confusion and political unrest that we are having now??  Too many cooks
in the kitchen right now..

---
Ted Gervais,
Coldbrook, Nova Scotia, Canada