Did you comment out all 5 lines?

#    echo "" > /etc/issue
#    echo "$R" >> /etc/issue
#    echo "Kernel $(uname -r) on $a $SMP$(uname -m)" >> /etc/issue

#    cp -f /etc/issue /etc/issue.net
#    echo >> /etc/issue

The third line is the line which adds the linux 2.4.9-31...the hostname
probably just gets popped in there.

The 4th line, of course, is what copies /etc/issue to /etc/issue.net.

You might need to check other init scripts to make sure that nothing else
is touching the issue and issue.net files.

Other than that, I'm afrid I can't be of much more help, probably.