On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, fred smith wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 09:17:26PM +1000, Robert Gubbins wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am running Red Hat Linux 7.2 and have purchased Oracle 8i for Linux
> > Starter kit book with a copy of Oracle8i.
>
> The release notes file on the RH CD #1 should give you some information
> about installing oracle. Basically there is a command you need to run
> and some environment variables you need to set. Oh, you also need to
> install (if they're not already installed) certain ...compat...rpm files
> that are on your RH CDs.

www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.html

and i have several other bookmarks for oracle on linux, but all of
them are for oracle 9i, not 8i.  any reason you're not using 9i?

and i've been meaning to set this up for a while, but haven't yet
had time.  if you want to take this offline, i'd be interested in
knowing if those instructions worked out of the box, or if you
had to do any hacking.

rday