[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Yannis G. Lazarou" wrote:
>
> > Hi, RedHat Linux users! I have to choose the most appropriate
> > motherboards for two systems that will run Linux Redhat 7.1 or
> > 7.2with the following specifications:1. System A: Intel P4 2GHz,
> > Memory: 1GB 800 MHz RDRAM, Adaptec AHA-29160 Ultra 160 SCSI
> > Controller.2. System B: Intel P4 1.8GHz, Memory: 1GB 333 DDR,
> > Adaptec AHA-29160 Ultra 160 SCSI Controller,    Both systems would
> > have a Seagate Cheetah 36.7 GB 15Krpm SCSI ST336752LW Hard Disk. For
> > System A, I am faced with two options offered by the local stores:a)
> > Intel Maryville OEM (with RDRAM, 850 Chipset) andb) GigaByte
> > GA-8ITXE and again with two options for System B:a) P4 ASUS
> > P4S533/PA (ATX-FSB533-Chipset)b) GigaByte GA-8IRX Both systems will
> > run under extreme computational demands (weeks of uninterrupted
> > processing required).Does anyone have any (happy or miserable!)
> > experience using these motherboards under Linux RedHat (for version
> > 7.1 or higher) ?Is there a possibility that any of the above
> > combinations could be unreliable ?Can anyone tell me if I should
> > insist on or turn down a particular motherboard ? Thanks in
> > advance! Yannis G. Lazarou
>
> Similar configuration to yours on  Red7.1, I have not had any problems
> with ASUS motherboards before.
> Good support web-site for downloads ; upgrades e.g. for BIOS etc. ;
> and FAQ's

My home system is based on an ASUS motherboard (CUV4X-D - PIII), point
being here that I have had good success with ASUS motherboards.
However, a good friend who builds computers here in our area has stopped
using ASUS due to warrantee support issues.  When he sends a defective
board back to ASUS, he often gets sent a "repaired" motherboard now - a
fairly recent change.  Some of these "repaired" boards haven't been well
repaired, either.

He started testing other boards and support; he's ended up going back to
Intel for his P4 boards.  My new system here at work is based on an
Intel D845EBGL, and the only problems I've had with either 7.2 or 7.3 is
that the onboard audio chipset isn't currently supported.  This box is a
P4/2.2GHZ with 1Gb PC266 DDR RAM, etc.  Runs quite well.

rickf

--
If you are successfull they'll beat a path to your doorstep ...
     Picket signs firmly in hand!