On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 02:47:58PM -0400, Kyle Evans wrote:
> The only problem is that I've already disabled it in the BIOS... you think
> it could be something else with linux or do you know its hardware related?
> If it helps its being run on a 150 Mhz packard bell machine.

Hello, Kyle.

Try the following command:

$ setterm -blank 0

If it works (and I think it should) then you can make it permanant by
adding it to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  There's probably a config
file somewhere where you can set it, but instead of digging around for
it, I would just tack the command onto rc.local. :)

Actually, I think you could just do

$ setterm -save

and not have to add anything to rc.local...might be worth a try.  See
the setterm manpage for details.

The bad thing is that you will need to hook a keyboard up to run the
command because if you run it from a remote terminal it will apply the
settings to _that_ terminal--for example your rxvt.  (Of course, the
blank option won't have any effect on a terminal emulator.)

There may be a way to set the options remotely.  Does anyone else
know?

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

Shall we make a new rule of life from tonight: always to try to be a
little kinder than is necessary?
                -- J.M. Barrie