Thanks Steve,

It looks like I have created a big mess. The original RAID was set up during
the install and mounted as /raid.  After adding another ide drive, I edited
the 'raidtab' file to reflect what we needed; that is, changed from 3 drives
at raid 0, to 4 drives at raid 5 with one drive set as a spare. I did not
alter the 'fstab' file which may have been my undoing.

Currently the /raid directory appears under / and issuing "fuser -m /raid"
dumps the following;

/raid:                   1     1r     1c     1e     2     2r     2c     3
3r
     3c     4     4r     4c     5     5r     5c     6     6r     6c     7
7r
     7c     8     8r     8c    13    13r    13c    92    92r    92c   185
185r
   185c   186   186r   186c   187   187r   187c   568   568r   568c   568e
573 ...etc

I've truncated the remainder for brevity.  "fuser -m /dev/md0" returned
nothing. 'umount' shows /raid unmounted.

Here is the 'raidtab';

raiddev             /dev/md0
raid-level                  5
nr-raid-disks               3
chunk-size                  64k
persistent-superblock       1
nr-spare-disks              1
    device          /dev/hde1
    raid-disk     0
    device          /dev/hdf1
    raid-disk     1
    device          /dev/hdg1
    raid-disk     2
    device          /dev/hdh1
    spare-disk    1

And cat /proc/mdstat shows;
Personalities : [raid0]
read_ahead not set
unused devices: <none>

and 'fstab';

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
#LABEL=/raid            /raid                   ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0
0

The '#LABEL=/raid' was commented out so we could reboot the server, which
would hang running the auto fsck.

Also, 'mkraid' gives the following error;

handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
/dev/hde1: device too small (0kB)
mkraid: aborted.
(In addition to the above messages, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat as well
 for potential clues.)

All four drives are 20 Gb.

At this point, I'd like to start from scratch, but not do a reinstall. Any
sugestions?

Thank you,

James D. Parra
[EMAIL PROTECTED]