At 11:06 AM -0400 7/3/02, Mike Burger wrote:
>The problem is that he wants to do this in console/text mode (runlevel 3).
>
>On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Spanke, Alexander wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  to start your computer like windows, without password, edit the last line in
>>  the inittab.
>>  Don't start the prefdm script at runlevel 5, start in this line your
>  > X-Windows Manager (KDE or Gnome) directly.
>  >
>  >

My suggestion:
        Configure runlevel 4 (init 4, aka "rc4.d") to match the run
level that you like, with the modifications that you want. Run level
4 is "user customizable" and can be configured for anything.

        A guy that I met recently configures init 4 for "airport
security", since he travels a lot. He set up this run level to run
with no services so that it boots up in about 15 seconds. No waiting
for a long boot up and shutdown with people in line behind him.
Clever, if you ask me.    ;-)

Patrick Beart
Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell