Folks:

        Several people have noted the problems with sound on certain
machines. I use an IBM Thinkpad 600 (eBay deal) with Red Hat 7.2
(Enigma) and the default (FULL) install has never produced sound.  I
get "system beeps" when I plug and unplug the power cord, but that's
it.

Upon startup (runlevel 6), I get the following error:

        "Error while initializing the sound driver: device /dev/dsp
can't be opened. (no such device)"

        Sndconfig runs fine from the command line and  can detect the
CS4232 driver (Crystal Semiconductor) in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.4.7/sound/CS4232 . However, this changes
nothing (no sound, even from headphones) and still produces errors.

The problem seems to be in the 2.4.7-10 kernel. Note the September
2001 section of this page:
http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm . The fix is noted
here:
        http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/pnpbios.html

-->  The question IS:  Can I upgrade my kernel version for RH 7.2
without breaking stuff??

Patrick Beart
Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell