>On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 08:26:14PM -0500, Vidiot wrote:
>> I see something, I think.  If I understand this correctly, mkfontdir doesn't
>> handle scalable fonts and relies upon the fonts.scale file.  So, what the
>> Hell is used to make the fonts.scale file?

Thanks, at the same time that you were posting the following reply, I was
fetching the Font-HOWTO fron the RedHat ftp server.

It had been a long time since I've added a new font to the system.

The help for ttmkfdir is a little misleading.  While it creates an output
in the format used by fonts.scale, the -o option requires that a file name
be given, which means there really isn't a default, i.e., -o with nothing
supplied still sends the output to stdout.

In any event, the new fonts.dir has been created, xset rehash'd and xfs
restarted and now Newscrape displays the page with the new font.

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

MB

># ttmkfdir -h
>This Program is (C) Joerg Pommnitz, 2000
>Usage: ttmkfdir [OPTION]
>-e, --encoding      name of the encoding directory file, default is
>"encodings.dir"
>-o, --output        name of the destination file, default is
>"fonts.scale"
>-d, --font-dir      name of the TrueType font directory, default is
>"."
>-f, --default-foundry    name of the default font foundry, default is
>"misc"
>-m, --max-missing   max # of missing characters per encoding, default
>is 5
>-a, --max-missing-percentage  max percentage # of missing characters
>per encoding, default is 2
>-x, --additional-entries      generate additional TTCaps(1), or
>FreeType(2), default is 0
>-c, --completeness  use less strict completeness tests for encoding
>tables
>-p, --panose        use panose information
>-h, --help          show this help message
>
>Sorry, for the wrap. Have you tried chkfontpath --add, which I think
>does this implicitly. Or 'xfs reload', which should for (if in
>fontpath).
>
>--
>Hal Burgiss

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       It is God's job to forgive bin Laden.
                                It is our job to set up the meeting.
                                    U.S. Marine Corp.
Visit - URL: http://www.vidiot.com/  (Your link to Star Trek and UPN)