A. Gent wrote:

>Hi,
>I would like to use a RedHat 7.2 as a dial-in server.
>The box connects to the Internet with a network card,
>using a router. The router's IP address, 192.168.0.1
>is the default gateway for the RedHat box, which is
>192.168.0.177.
>The dial-in server box connects to the Internet
>without a problem.
>
>I have set up the dial-in server and I can connect to
>it with an other RedHat box, using PPP. During PPP I
>assign to the dial-in box the IP 192.168.0.178.
>
>Once the connection is up, from 192.168.0.178 I can
>ping 192.168.0.177, I can ssh there, etc.
>
>What should I do in order to be able to ping the
>router (192.168.0.1) and go to the Internet from
>192.1168.0.178?
>
>I have seen a reference to firewallss in
>/etc/rc.d/init.d, but it complains about not finding
>/etc/sysconfig/cipe.
>
>I have cipe installed on the dial-in box, however I do
>not have 2 network card there, only one. I would like
>to enable IP forwarding between 192.168.0.177 ethernet
>and the PPP link.
>
>I have found /etc/ppp/firewall-masq script I have run
>it, but still no luck.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Art

You need to enable forwarding on the dial in server.  I have
accomplished this using the following command:

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I sent this command out recently and received the following reply:

>> Nowadays these values are usually not set directly using the proc filesystem
>> but by using sysctl. Try setting
>> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
>> in /etc/sysctl.conf.

You may still need firewalling and/or cipe, but neither of those is
likely to be your problem right now.

Steve