Actually, it might be able to do so.

IPtables can work based on name resolution...I have a port opened for a
particular service based on a system's hostname...this is done because the
system has a dynamic DNS thing going on, and occasionally his IP does
change.

If the firewall system knows to look to an internal name server, it's
possible that it could do it based on hostname.