From: "Matthew Melvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "clover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 8:00 AM
Subject: [RHL] Re: wrong ident being sent out on irc on 7.3

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 at 7:44pm (-0500), clover wrote:

> when i try to get on irc with my new 7.3 system
> the ident is wrong. it shows up as [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> and not what it needs to be. when i turn off identd
> it shows up right but it is not sending an ident reply.
> this worked right on my old 6.2 system.
>
> is there something i need to configure?

Looks like what your seeing is the des encrypted version of identd's
output... or at least as much of it as it as IRC is interested in.. normally
it's much longer....

Escape character is '^]'.
22, 4257 : USERID : OTHER :[u0+gzT21e/ZYOwfYck5Z5l83Ty8IYnLR]
Connection closed by foreign host.

... you prolly wanna go into /etc/identd.conf and change...

result:encrypt = yes

... to be "no" and then restart the daemon...

Escape character is '^]'.
22, 4257 : USERID : OTHER :root
Connection closed by foreign host.

... or something like that.  Beware.. now your system will leak
information... the specific example I gave here let me see that the remote
server's sshd daemon is running as root.  Not a very interesting example but
for things like named or apache it might by useful to me to know what user
you've got those processes running as.

M.

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 5, 100 Wickham St.           Network Operations - Systems Engineer