On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Dan Sabo wrote:

> I'm co locating my new server loaded with red hat Linux 7.2 tomorrow.  The
> co lo facility tells me that I can not have one IP address for each and
> every domain name unless I can justify them; and some I can justify and some
> I can't.
>
> What I'm wondering, what if anything will I lose if I set up domains under
> (I guess they are called) virtual IP address, instead of assigning them a
> real IP address?  Are there any advantages or dis advantages of setting up
> domain names without a real IP address?

First of all, there are no virtual IP addresses, only public and private
ones.  RFC1918 describes the justification for private IP addresses and
defines their values (10.xx.xx.xx, 172.16.xx.xx-172.31.xx.xx, and
192.168.xx.xx). Public IP addresses are the only ones that are any good on
the global internet; private IP addresses are very useful on private
networks, from a 2-host SOHO net to a large enterprise network behind a
firewall. Public IP addresses are in short supply (thus your ISP's
reluctance to hand them out) and must be assigned by a global
administration to other local administrations.  Private IP addresses are
not routable to the public internet, but assigned and controlled as the
private network administrator sees fit.

Perhaps what you are really facing is having to define virtual domains. I
don't have any direct experience with them, but my understanding is that
multiple domain names resolve to the same public IP address. The major
drawback I see, is for example, if "myneatdomain.com" and "xyz.org" both
resolve to IP address 209.71.55.131, a web server at that address couldn't
tell the difference between requests for
http://myneatdomain.com/index.html and http://xyz.org/index.html.  It is
possible to have a single SMTP server handle mail for multiple domains by
having many DNS MX records point to the same address.  I don't know how
difficult setting up sendmail, qmail, or postfix (the only mail transfer
agents, MTAs, I know of).  Perhaps others could comment on that.

Jim Cunning