> On Monday 08 July 2002 08:44 am, Toralf Lund wrote:
> > I notice that linuxconf is gone from the Red Hat distribution as of
> > version 7.3. I don't really mind about the config tool, but I was using
> > /sbin/fixperm in one of my configuration update scripts (or rather, an
> > rpm trigger). Is there an alternative to this utility?
>
> I'm not at all sure what 'fixperm' did. If you are trying to restore
> permissions on files belonging to rpm packages, you can use the
> - --setperms and --setugids flags to rpm.
> man rpm for details.
No. rpm --setperms takes *forever*, and I probably can't use it from
within rpm itself, in any case. Like I said, I'm calling fixperm from
%triggerin.

I don't think fixperm would update permissions on *everything*, merely on
certain files and directories that are essential for correct system
operation (/var/spool etc.) I can't even remember exactly why I need it,
but it has something to do with the fact that I'm using a slightly
non-standard (from a Red Hat perspective) setup for some of the special
users and groups, which is in turn desirable because we have different
Unix(ish) systems that have somewhat different defaults in this respect.

- Toralf