On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 22:20, Pranay Kumar wrote:
> I am using DLT (tape is 110 GB). So I don't need to span tapes. Also I
> do not need scheduled backups. I can manually backup as and when
> required. My file size ranges from 25G to 40G. I thought AMANDA was more
> for a central repository kind of backup??

amanda does do network backups too.  The cool thing is that with the
tools as a part of the package you can scan the index and retrieve a
backdated version. Locate the correct tape etc.

You did not say how many versions you need to keep.  Amanda will not
allow you to manage the tapes.  It will make a tape for each day.

If you are merely wanting to copy the file to tape there is always tar
or even cp.  Just write to the tape device like it was a directory.

cat bigfile > /dev/st0

use nst0 if you don't want it to rewind.

you will have to keep up with tape position and the like for getting it
back though.  Multiple files on the tape can get confusing if you are
not used to it.

man mt for how to position the tape at the beginning of a file. and
other tape control commands,

Bret