From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Chris Watt
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 8:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Jayson Hill
Subject: Re: setting up a tape drive

At 08:39 2002/07/16 -0700, you wrote:

>I was wondering if someone could help me with setting up a tape drive
on
>an existing RedHat 7.2 system. It is a Seagate SCSI tape drive. I am
sorry
>to be such a newbie about this, but I am completely clueless on how to
>start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The usual approach is:
1. Turn machine off.
2. Add tape drive to SCSI chain (using an available ID number and making

sure the chain remains properly terminated).
3. Turn machine back on.

At this point your SCSI controller init should show the tape drive as a
sequential access device (you can check that it found it by reading the
output from "dmesg") and assuming it's your only tape drive you can use
it
as /dev/st0.
e.g.
"tar -czvf /dev/st0 /" would attempt to archive a gzip compressed copy
of
your root filesystem onto tape, or "tar -xzvf /dev/st0 ." would attempt
restore an archive from the tape to the current directory.

For low-level backups you can use something like:
dd if=/dev/sda | gzip -c > /dev/st0
(naturally you shouldn't do this while any partitions on sda are mounted

read/write).

p.s. I am currently trying out a new version of Eudora (mail user agent
for
Windows) which hasn't downloaded it's registration key yet and thinks
it's
operating as advertising supported software. I apologize if it tacked
some
kind of add onto this message.