On 14:05 18 Jul 2002, Joe Nestlerode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Can you put a carriage return (enter) as one of the choices in a 'case'
| construct?  *) will catch it, but I need that for the "Invalid Choice"
| catch-all at the end.  I couldn't find it in the documentation; is this
| possible?

Sure:

        echo "Enter your reply"
        read reply
        case "$reply" in
                '')     # empty answer - i.e. "enter"
                        echo "I need a response!"
                        ;;
                yes)    # ok?
                        ;;
                *)      echo "unhandled answer \"$reply\""
                        ;;
        esac

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Thimmonier had eighty [sewing] machines in operation, turning out military
uniforms--until an angry mob, composed of professional tailors who viewed the
machine as a threat to their livelihood, stormed Thimmonier's factory,
destroying all the machines and nearly killing their inventor.  Thimmonier
fled to the town of Amplepuis, where he died in poverty. - Charles Panati