So why would you want to kill the web, name, nfs and samba servers when
going to run level 5?

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/22/02 05:31pm >>>
> In the 7.3 reference guide the boot process is described, namely
init
> runlevels. It gives the example of runlevel 5, and shows that
> when going
> to init 5, services including httpd, smb, named and nfs are
> sent a stop
> command, which I'm assuming stops the daemon. I know I'm
understanding
> it wrongly somehow as I'm sure there's no way the web, samba, dns
and
> nfs servers get stopped when going to init 5 but I don't know what
I'm
> missing. Could someone please explain the difference between K* and
S*
> sym links in the rc<X>.d directories?

K means kill, S means start

see
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/tips/Boot-Process-Tips/Boot-Process-

Tips-3.html for further information

> My second question is, what is the recommended way to add a new
> service? (I can't find it in the manuals)

man chkconfig

ITM Business Solutions
Unit 4
Nine Trees Trading Estate
Morthen Road
Rotherham
S66 9JG

Reception
Tel: 01709 703288
Fax: 01709 701549

Help Desk
Tel:01709 530424
Fax: 01709 702159

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of
under applicable law.