On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 09:15:11AM +0000, Alan Harding wrote:
> So I downloaded and installed Codeweavers Crossover for
> Windows. This is an emulator (as far as I can see) for the MS Office
> environment and unfortunatly costs money.

Your experience agrees with others I have talked to, but I have to
clarify something: Crossover Office is not an emulator of MS Office.
I know that isn't what you wrote, but the first (and second) time I
read what you wrote that is what I ~throught~ you said.

Crossover Office is clone of the MS Windows application programming
interface (API), that is, Crossover Office is a Linux clone of many of
the services MS Windows provides to applications, and so it allows one
to use many MS Windows applications on a Linux computer.  You will
still need a legal copy of whatever MS Windows applications you want
to use.

> However I figured the $60+ was worth it to retain my Linux desktop.

It is a good deal.  But not as good a deal as some readers might
think; Crossover Office does not include MS Office, just the ability
to use it (and many other applications).  Users must buy those
applications separately

> The install was 7Mb long, and once installed I then had to use the
> Office2000 cd to install the packages.

Correct.

A note on what Crossover Office is made of: It is commercialized
enhancements of the free program "Wine" (which stands for "Wine Is Not
an Emulator").  One can run various MS Windows application with Wine
alone, it just is not as smooth and easy an experience.  Codeweavers
concentrated on making specific programs (the MS Office suite) run
well on Wine, and in the process has done a good job smoothing out
rough edges and making many other programs run well.  The changes
Codeweavers made to Wine itself they are giving back to the free
version of Wine (as they are obligated to do under Wine's license),
but they also wrote new software that I think helps with the
installation of software, and I think these are purely their property
and what you get to use by buying a copy of Crossover Office.

It looks like a good product (as does their Crossover Plugin which
lets Linux folks use web browser plugins that were written for use on
MS Windows boxes), and from what I know is well worth the price for
those who have MS Windows software they want to run on a Linux box.  I
am glad it works for you too.

-kb, the Kent who has no connection to Codeweavers either, he just
wanted to make this confusing topic a bit clearer.