On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 03:10:58PM +0200, Ximo Llacer wrote:
> Could tell me someone :?
>
> Why I find in different sites newlest versions than RNH of REDHAT ?
>
> Examples :
>
> Apache 2.0.39 to compile. And red hat 1.3.23.-14.

First of all, you need to understand the philosophy behind Red Hat's
distribution.  Red Hat puts together an integrated package with all the
pieces tested together and that are compatible with each other.  Within
a release (e.g. Red Hat Linux 7.3), they will not release a package that
breaks compatibility with other packages that are in the same release.

You'll see this a lot with security patches - Red Hat will patch the
current release rather than upgrading to the latest version since that
may introduce new bugs along with the new features.

I'm fairly certain you can't just upgrade Apache without something else
breaking.  Similarly with KDE 3.0.  Not only was it not binary
compatible with KDE 2.x applications, it wasn't even totally source
compatible.

You'll see Apache 2.x in the current "Limbo" beta release.  I expect
that this will become Red Hat Linux 8.0 when it's ready to ship (but Red
Hat has not announced or even hinted at a version number).  At that
time, new features will likely be frozen again, and we'll start all
over.

If you're serious about working with leading-edge packages and are
willing to be a tester (with its rights and responsbilities), check out
the Rawhide "distribution" at Red Hat's ftp site.  It has the
leading-edge packages, but you'll need to understand that Rawhide hasn't
been well tested, and you may upgrade a package that renders your system
unbootable or corrupts data.  If you want stability, wait for a tested
release.

        .../Ed (Red Hat Community Ambassador Program member # 1).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]