Hi,

it appears that 'X knows best!'

I've got a Dell laptop with a radeon mobility LY chipset with a
1400x1050 panel, and a big external monitor.

In windows, the monitor runs happily at 1600x1200 at 75Hz refresh.

In a default X config, the panel works fine at 1400x1050, but, if I
attach the monitor, DDC detects it and forces the max resolution down to
1024x768 (even though the DDC messages happily show higher res modes as
available)

If I disable DDC, and configure the monitor sync rates, it'll go up to
1400x1050, but that syncs at 60Hz, which gives one mean headache.
Basically, the Radeon drivers is refusing to allow a crt mode which is
higher res than the panel (which is closed, and not in use).

The error message is

(WW) RADEON(0): Mode 1600x1200 is out of range.
Valid mode should be between 640x480-1400x1050

and I can't find out how to either disable the panel check, or override
it with a forced resolution :(

Anyone out there know of any tricks I could try?

Thanks

Jim

This E-Mail is sent in confidence for the addressee only.  Unauthorised recipients
must preserve this confidentiality and should please advise the sender immediately by
telephone (+44 (0)870 241 6492) and return the original E-Mail to the sender without
taking a copy. Cyprotex has taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses
are transmitted from Cyprotex to any third party.  Cyprotex accepts no responsibility
for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this E-Mail or
the contents.