Hi Gabriel:

Since no one else has responded, I will give it a shot.

Offhand I would say that it is executing one tar command with
all the tarballs on the one command line. The first one is
used as the tarball and the rest are used as filenames to be
extracted from the tarball.

Try the following instead:

    for F in `find . -name "*.tar.gz" -print0`
    {
        tar xzf $F
    }

or better yet (if all files are in the current directory):

    for F in *.tar.gz
    {
        tar xzf $F
    }

HTH

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

From: Of gabriel Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 1:01 AM

>   find . -name "*.tar.gz" -print0 | xargs -0 tar xzf
>
> doesn't do what i would think it should do
> instead it returns the list of tar.gz files with the error:
>
>   tar: ./filename0.tar.gz: not found in archive
>   tar: ./filename1.tar.gz: not found in archive
>   tar: ./filename2.tar.gz: not found in archive
>   tar: ./filename3.tar.gz: not found in archive
>   tar: ./filename4.tar.gz: not found in archive
>
> what'd i do wrong here?

---