On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 16:26, alexis Vasquez wrote:
> I posted this before. they answer me RTFM..  I'm a
> newbie and I wold like read the manuals but I don't
> have it..  I'm not connected to internet. only have
> installation cds. even can't find the howtos..
>
> I installed RHL7.3 over a W2K installation.
> to see this partition I have to recompile the kernel.
> would you please give step by step instructions..
>
> promise I'll RTFM later..

1. Install the kernel-source rpm from your distribution CD. That will
create a directory /usr/src/linux-<revision>.

2. As root, cd to that directory. Now would be a good time to read the
documentation in the README file in this directory. You will also find a
configs directory that contains several config files. Find the one that
matches the kernel you are currently running and make a note of its
name.

3. Make sure you are in the /usr/src/linux-<revision> directory and
logged in as root.

4. Type "make mrproper".

5. If you are running X, type "make xconfig", otherwise type "make
menuconfig".

6. First select "Load Configuration from File" and give the full path to
the config file you made a note of earlier.

7. Next select "File systems". Find "NTFS file system support (read
only)" and select it (probably as a module).

8. You may or may not want to save your new configuration file, but I
would advise against overwriting the original. Save your changes and
exit config.

9. Do a "make dep". This will take some time.

10. Do a "make bzImage". This will take longer.

11. Do a "make modules". This will not take as long.

12. Do a "make modules_install". This is pretty quick.

13. Do a "make install". This is also quick.

I am familiar with lilo and not grub but I understand the default boot
loader for 7.3 is grub. I know lilo would need to run here, but I'm not
sure about grub. Check the documentation. If it were using lilo, there
would be some output from it verifying that it ran successfully.

At this point, you have overwritten your existing kernel (unless you
have modified the makefile) so cross your fingers and re-boot your
system.

Good luck.

Linus