I can't answer the first part, but as to the second, you don't necessarily
have to download the sources and build them, manually.

Instead,you can download the source rpms (.src.rpm)...you then "rpm -i
xxx.src.rpm", and then, after modifying the spec file (if the spec file
has an option for ldap), you can "rpm -ba xxxx.spec" and create a binary
rpm with the options you want.

This allows you to compile and still continue to make use of the rpm
database, etc, to track packages.