On 28-Jul-02 clover wrote:
> hello,
>       i used to have a 6.2 machine. i wiped
> everything and install 7.3. i also changed the
> advansys to an adaptec aha-2940w/2940uw scsi
> card before the new install. now i want to use
> my old advansys and try to burn a cd and see if
> it still dies when it is fixating the cd. kudzu
> removed the old configuration for the card and
> found the new one. but it is not being loaded
> when i boot. i have the errors from the boot
> pasted below. i did a search on google about
> this but could not find information on this
> subject. thank you in advance for any fixes/leads
> on how to resolve this.
>
> eric
>

> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

this is not really your problem. (i.e. this "error" occurs even in a "normal
properly configured boot"

I am guessing that you're /partition is on scsi. You need an initrd that
includes the necessary scsi driver. therefore if you swap scsi cards and / is
on the scsi card that you swapped out, you will need to boot the install cd in
rescue mode, mount your root partitions (which will probably happen
automagically), and then chroot to your normal system, make a new initrd (man
mkinitrd), and then update either lilo.conf, or grub.conf as appropriate. (and
it you're using lilo, you will need to re-lilo.)

you probably should backup the old initrd file, just incase you think you might

rgds,

-Greg

> in looking at the log it did not log all the error messages.
> from what i saw it was still trying to load the old ahaxxx drivers.
> and /sbin/lsmod shows the advansys module loaded

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29-Jul-02
Time: 09:35:49

     then each of us still has one object.
     then each of us now has two ideas.