On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 12:23, Anth Courtney wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Apologies in advance if this is slightly OT (if so, any redirections /
> pointers would be appreciated).
>
> I want to capture screenshots from a X display using a command line
> interface. Ideally, I'd like to also be able to capture these from a remote
> x display.
>
> Can anyone point me towards any software that might be able to do this? (or
> part thereof). Eventually I'd like to chuck it a couple of urls and have it
> capture screenshots of those websites.

/usr/bin/X11/import -display localhost:0.0 -window root /tmp/screen.jpeg

will put a pixel for pixel screen dump of the entire screen in a file
/tmp/screen.jpg

Check out the man page for other options such as scaled images

we use this all the time and have built several scripts that call the
script remotely  via ssh and display the image in a web page.  very
cool.

BTW import is part of the ImageMagick package.

HTH

Bret