I recently set up a Linux file server, with a software RAID which mirrors
two 80 gig drives, the home drives get tarred onto different tapes during
night. So a rather save fileserver/backup solution. I thought. I am using
two IDE IBM Deskstar 80 gig drives. One of the two drives came already
broken, but I got a replacement (same drive). Now I red that this particular
drives fails often and that an IBM techguy already posted in an IBM forum
"not to leave the drive powered for more than eight hours a day, else it
might fail". A great thing for a fileserver. I now bought two Seagate 80 gig
drives, but I don't know how to replace the two IBM (I know how to install
the drives, that's not the problem ;) ). Since it is a mirrored RAID system,
I should be able to pull out one IBM drive, replace it with a seagate, boot
the system, then I EXPECT the RAID deamon to format the new drive, mirror
the data on it etc. etc. and then I do the same thing with the second drive.

Does Linux Software RAID work this way? That's how I know it from hardware
SCSI solutions. I really don't wanna risk to loose any data (though I have
a backup, the server is running fine and it would be bad if I have to
reinstall it).

Has anybody ever done something like this and can tell me what the easiest,
safest way is to get those two damn IBM drives replaced? I really don't want
to wait until on of them fails...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ulrik