Please read up on SO_LINGER.  It's probably not the signals that're off;
it's probably that the kernel is holding the socket unusable for a while
so lingering client processes don't send data to an unintended version
of your server process.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying.

Reboot should work too.  Or if you just wait long enough.