At 02:56 PM 11-08-02, Anders Thoresson wrote:

> > The problem with this answer is that the guy has 192MB of RAM, and 2 hard
> > drives.  I can't vouch for his disk space availability, but 192MB should
> > still be plenty of RAM in which to run KDE.
>I'm running Gnome. Is Gnome more hungry for memory than KDE?
>
>Right now, 95% of my 192 MB RAM is used, but just 6% of my 385 MB of
>swap.
>
>Running just Gnome, Gnomeicu, Evolution and Opera, I would have guessed
>to have a little more free RAM?

I have a PII-266Mhz with 160 MB RAM. I run RedHat 7.3 with Gnome. I usually
have several xterms open, plus Evolution, Opera and the Yahoo Messenger,
and the speed is not a problem for me. My impression is that you don't need
more RAM.

Do a "ps -axfu" to see which processes you are running. Maybe you have
something running in the background that you don't need. Take a look at the
"top" command, also. Another suggestion is to "purge" Evolution mailboxes,
as these can get really big. I don't remember the exact command to do that,
and I'm in Windows now (I have a network adapter, that I use to connect to
my wife's laptop, which I have not gotten to run under Linux).

--
Saul Arias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>