On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Kevin - KD Micro Software wrote:

> When I run pppd, it's connecting to the ISP ok, but traffic doesn't go
> anywhere and in /var/log/messages, I'm getting "not replacing existing
> default route to eth0". I can see why outgoing traffic isn't going
> anywhere cause its trying to go out via eth0, but why is this?
>
> I *think* this has something to do with static-routes in /etc/sysconfig
> but I'm not sure.

Do the static routes include a static default route?  If so, then you are
probably correct in your guess.

At this point the obvious answer is to "experiment".  Making sure you keep
a copy of your configuration files, delete the static routes you guess may
be causing the problem.  If that clears things up with regards to Internet
connectivity...then you may be all the way there....or part of the way
there.  Depending on your network topology you may have to add additional
static routes to compensate for the new default route.

Regards,
Ed

--
http://www.shorewall.net/  for all your firewall needs