> > > I want to do this because I have a hunch that it causes my
> > > machine to lock up completely.

> 1. Do you use Gnome or esd ?
> 2. Do you have a SoundBlaster Live Card?

Hi Mark,

esd doesn't appear to be running, there are a few processes with
gnome (-session, -terminal, -smproxy, -name-service, -pty-helper)
running, but I'm not sure if this is what you were asking.

The sound is AC '97 Audio (it's an emachines T1860).

The apmd daemon was running. I did chkconfig apmd off and
the machine hasn't locked up yet (it's been running 3 days, Day
1 and 2 ampd was running and the machine locked after some
idle time, Day 3 with no apmd it is still OK).

A brief search prior to my posting the question suggests that
the problem is with the graphics. It uses S3 ProSavage8, and
I had to use an upgraded savage_drv.o module just to get X
running (from http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html).
I have seen some reports suggesting a possible correlation
between screensaver lockup and this driver. A recent
experience with a hp zt1155 laptop install (which also
needed the updated savage_drv.o driver) lends weight
to this correlation.

Regards, Joe