Actually, If you didn't do a su - (with the "-"), then try that.
Otherwise add /sbin to the path in /etc/profile, but be warned this
could pose as a security issue with some administrators. You may have to
alter the profile scrips to only allow /sbin path for certain UID's or
GID's. You can look at the profile file and see how they do this with
other functionality

Hope this helps...

Joe Giles