On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:49:00PM -0500, Jonathan Johnson wrote:

> I am a bad spot.  Our company has taken the step to replace an ancient
> Sun Sparc II and a recently-compromised RH 6.0 network server with a
> new RH 7.2 omni-server with software RAID, backup tape, VPN, updated
> network services and increased security.  So far so good.

[major snip]

>   Aug 10 05:04:19 pegasus sendbackup[9944]: error [/bin/tar got signal 11, index got
>signal 11, compress got signal 11]

A signal 11 is very often a hardware error caused by bad memory.  Since
this is a new server, you may not have checked it out fully.  You've got
a couple of choice:
1)  Replace the 128MB DIMM
2)  Download memtest and run an offline memory exerciser.

Given that you're already in production, option 1 is probably faster.
If you can afford it, upgrade that memory while you're at it - I'd guess
that you might want double that.  If you're running X, you very likely
don't have enough and since you're running xfs, you're probably running
an X server.

I can't remember the memory requirements for Perforce, but I thought it
was up there too.  Are you also running MySQL on this same box?

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]