When I use ipchains to MASQ there seems to be a "Buffer" that fills up
after a day or so that causes my external nic to lose connection with my
ISP (I have DSL and a Cisco 678 router). I'm running 2 Red Hat supported
NIC's. Internet side nic is a 10 and the Network side is a 100. I'm
running the latest SMP kernel from RHN. After about a day or so of GREAT
performance, the external NIC seems to "Bog" down. I still have local
network and it runs fine,for a while, then it too eventually dies. This
does not happen when I only run with one NIC.

Example... I will be able to ping another host on the Internet and get a
105 ms reply from the server on the Internet connected NIC. Then, after
some usage from the local network, or a good day's wait, the ping from
the Internet host will go up to 200, then 600, then into the thousands.
Eventually, I actually lose WAN connection. BUT, I have local network
for a short time after this happens, then, I lose that as well and the
server, if left unattended, will lock up and require a reboot. What I
have to do is /etc/init.d/network restart then it to go back to normal
as long as I can catch it before the server locks up. I guess I can
create a cron job to do that nightly (The network restart)... Any one
know what could cause this.

I have tired several NIC's and even reloaded my system, and this problem
ALWAYS comes back...

I am using the Current SMP kernel from RHN as of this last weekend (As
well as all the current patches up 2 date). This happened on the prior
kernel as well.

If you need to know any additional software that I am using, let me
know... Is is a quick rundown of what I'm using...

SAMBA
APACHE
DHCPD
ProFTP
SNORT
NAGIOS

Any Help would be appreciated ... Thanks

Joe