    c> I need some help.
    c> 1.  I have a server that has been up for 100+ days and I need to do some
    c> hard drive work on.  I know that the server has an available 33 gig scsi
    c> drive on it, but I'm not sure how linux saw the drive.  Unfortunately due
    c> to the amount of uptime, dmesg no longer shows the bootstrap sequence.  Is
    c> there anyway to get linux to do something like a re-scan of the drives and
    c> report to me what it finds?  Since this machine is in production, I can
    c> not bounce it without a lot of headache.

fdisk -l  this will give you all the partition info of your drives.

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf created by kudzu will give you detail info
brand, model.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi   will you give you more info.

    c> 2.  When the drive is detected and I partition it, is there a way to get
    c> linux to see the partitions w/o a reboot?

You still need to create a filesystem on the partition add an entry to
/etc/fstab and create a mount point.
Then just mount and use.

--
Ray Curtis