Hello List... I'm trying this again as I'm pretty desperate.

Booting my rh 7.0 machine hangs at INIT:.  Running a repair install, I can access the disks, mount partitions and see the files sysinit and rc which appear intact (with root execute attributes).  I have a backup of the machine (made with taper).  I feel everything is within reach but fail to understand why INIT cannot execute the files.  I've searched the web on this but haven't found any definite leads on how to proceed.  I'd hate to scratch the machine when it seems the data is accessible... can anyone help?  The booting sequence is as follows, and just loops on the cannot execute lines:

INIT: version 2.78 booting

INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/init.sysinit"

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3

INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

INIT: Id "2" respawni.... (similar lines up to Id "6")

INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel.

(The boot sequence previous to the above lines appears to be OK)

Thanks for any advice... /j-p.

Do You Yahoo!?