OK, it is now working. But I don't know why.
I rebooted the 6.2 system (kept on separate partitions)
and verified everything worked, and when I rebooted 7.3 it started
working.

LPRng DOES support usb.

The mysterious "ignoring set_interface..." message has gone.
I can only assume it was due to recompiling the kernel.
I remember adding the sound card and removing an ether device
but can't remember any other changes, but I am getting old...

Cameron.