Thanks folks thats sorted things...pretty obvious really

-----Original Message-----
From: Willem Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 29 August 2002 13:47
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: updating rpms

Hello,

Gordon McDowall wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have recently came to RedHat after using various other flavours of
linux,
> the main difference between what I am used to and RedHat is the use of
rpms
> instead of source.   Here is my problem.
> I installed a RedHat 7.3 machine as a cacheing DNS server, by default
> bind-9.2.0 is installed.   Now I have found a bind-9.2.1 rpm, but when you
> try to install it using rpm -Uvh --freshen bind-9.2.1.blah.blah I get an
> error
> error: failed dependencies:
>         bind = 9.2.0 is needed by bind-devel-9.2.0-8
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Gordon

You'll need to update all the bind rpms at the same time. To get a list
of the installed rpms:

rpm -qa bind\*

If you try to update just the bind package then the bind-devel and
bind-utils will be out of sync.

So, if you don't need the bind-devel rpm you can un-install it and
try again or just get the bind-devel and maybe the bind-utils as well
and update all three.

Best Regards
Willem Brown

--